Main T&N Companies which manufactured and/or applied asbestos containing products:
Turner & Newall
Turner & Newall (T&N) was formed in 1920 by the amalgamation of four companies – JW Roberts Limited, Newalls Insulation Company Limited, The Washington Chemical Company Limited and TBA Industrial Products Limited. The T&N Group of Companies were sold to the American firm, Federal Mogul in 1998.
Current legal entity: Federal-Mogul Limited
JW Roberts Limited
JWR was one of the founding members of T&N. JWR operated out of a factory in Armley, Leeds until 1958 when its’ operations were transferred to Hindley Green, Wigan.
JWR manufactured and supplied asbestos-containing insulation and products. It developed, and patented, Sprayed LIMPET Asbestos.
The business carried on by JWR was merged with that of Turners Asbestos Cement Limited in 1970 and TAC carried on the business thereafter.
Current legal entity: J W Roberts Limited
Newalls Insulation Company Limited
Newalls was one of the founding members of T&N. Newalls’ contracting business was primarily involved in lagging of ships, power stations etc. Manufacturing of asbestos and non-asbestos products was carried out at Washington, Tyne & Wear and Paisley, Scotland. By 1968 the production of asbestos containing products was being phased out. No asbestos was used at the Washington factory after June 1972.
In 1964 the business carried on by Newalls was merged with that of The Washington Chemical Company Limited to become Newalls Insulation and Chemical Company Limited.
In 1969 Newalls sold its Paisley factory. In 1975 Newalls sold its insulation contracting business to Cape Contracts Limited. In 1980 Newalls sold its business of manufacturing and marketing of glass fibre, rock fibre, slag fibre and calcium silicate insulation materials together with its remaining properties (which included the Washington factory) to Cape Insulation Limited.
Current legal entity: Newalls Insulation Company Limited
The Washington Chemical Company Limited
The Washington Chemical Company Limited (WCC) was one of the founding members of T&N. The WCC had factories in Washington, Tyne and Wear and Paisley, Scotland. The WCC manufactured and supplied asbestos and non-asbestos products.
In 1964 the business carried on by WCC was merged with that of Newalls Insulation Company Limited to become Newalls Insulation and Chemical Company Limited.
Current legal entity: The Washington Chemical Company Limited
TBA Industrial Products Limited
TBA was one of the founding members of T&N. TBA’s main factories were in Rochdale and Hindley Green. TBA manufactured and supplied asbestos-containing insulation and poducts e.g asbestos-containing yarns, fabrics, plaited packings, sheeting, tape, rings, webbings, listings, millboard and paper.
In 1984 the operation of the Hindley Green factory was transferred to TBA Belting Limited.
Current legal entity: TBA Industrial Products Limited
Turners Asbestos Cement Limited
TAC joined the T&N group in 1929. TAC had factories at Trafford Park, Rhoose, Tamworth, Widnes , Ditton, Dalmuir and Erith.
In 1986 all of TAC’s businesses, apart from the business operated from the Trafford Park site, were sold to Eternit Building Products Limited. TAC’s Trafford Park business was sold in 1997.
Current legal entity: T&N Shelf 26 Limited
Ferodo joined the T&N group in 1925. Ferodo had factories at Chapel-en-le-Frith and, with effect from 1964, Caernarfon. A retarder business operated out of a factory in Chesterfield between 1977 and 1984. Ferodo manufactured and supplied friction products e.g. brake linings, brake pads.
The operation of the Caernarfon factory was transferred to Ferodo Caernarfon Limited in 1991. The business operated by Ferodo Caernarfon was sold in 1997. Ferodo’s Chapel-en-le-Frith factory is operated by Federal Mogul.
Current legal entity: Federal Mogul Friction Products Limited